- Heterosexual couples who have been married for at least one year are eligible for domestic and international adoption.
- Single heterosexual women are eligible for international home study only services.
The agency will deny applications of persons:
- who will NOT agree to have their child(ren) receive all state required vaccinations for school admission, or seek medical attention when necessary
- who have been divorced more than two times
- whose sexual orientation is other than heterosexual
- who are not married and cohabitating with another person of the opposite gender
- who have been convicted of a felony
- who have any pending criminal charges
- who have any substantiated abuse or neglect charges
- who abuse alcohol or other substances
- who have any misdemeanor convictions
- who have been accused of abuse or neglect
- who have a significant medical condition
AAI requires that each adoptive family allow a transition time of one year between the placement of an adopted child or birth of a biological child into the home before adding another child to the family. We recognize that circumstances for each family situation are different and so encourage you to consult with your caseworker as to the right timing for you to begin the application process. Your caseworker will be a valuable resource in assessing your family’s transition and readiness to proceed with a subsequent adoption.
The agency will place children only into homes with parents who agree to seek medical attention when necessary for the child. In addition, parents must agree not to withhold medical treatment for the child against the advice of medical personnel.
The agency will thoroughly assess the prospective adoptive parent’s approach to child discipline as part of the home study process. There is substantial and compelling research to indicate that corporal punishment generally has a negative and harmful impact on children. Alternately, there are positive and affirmative forms of discipline that should be utilized instead. The agency will provide educational resources to prospective clients as requested and when concerns arise. The agency reserves the right to deny approval of the client’s home study if the parents’ approach to child discipline is deemed inappropriate by the agency.
- All fees payable to AAI are nonrefundable once they are paid.
- Fees paid directly to third parties are nonrefundable by the agency.